Monday, January 23, 2012

Oatmeal Applesauce Pancakes

I have been on a mission lately. What is that mission you ask? To find foods my now one year old {eek!} baby will eat. Now that we're moving out of the baby food stage I've been terrified! Don't ask me why but it's been really stressing me out. I'm a working mom so it's important to me to find a healthy quick breakfast to fix my daughter in the mornings. Especially one she can feed herself while I'm getting ready without too much worry from me that she will choke on it. That's where Oatmeal Applesauce Pancakes step in! I know you're thinking making pancakes in the morning is not quick! Well I am here to tell you that you are correct! That's why I make them ahead of time and freeze them. Pop them in the microwave and voila! Quick and easy breakfast!



Oatmeal Applesauce Pancakes
from Allrecipes

1 cup flour
1/3 cup quick cooking oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk

Directions:
Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon together. Set aside. In another bowl combine applesauce, sour cream, egg, vanilla extract and milk. Once the wet ingredients are well mixed together pour in to the dry ingredients and mix it all together.

Scoop about 1/4 cup of pancake mixture on to a griddle heated to medium-low heat. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Turning once. Serve with maple syrup and butter, peanut butter or mashed up bananas smeared on top.

*Special notes: this batter is pretty thick. I used the bottom of my measuring cup to help spread the pancakes out on the griddle. Also the recipe called for milk but I used soy milk with great results since that's what we drink in these parts!

No comments:

Post a Comment