Monday, March 26, 2012

Six Week Bran Muffins

No don't worry... these muffins don't take six weeks to make. The batter is good for six weeks in the fridge in a covered container. My mom made these all the time when I was younger and I had been craving them for weeks! I know you might think, a bran muffin? ew. Just try them. They are delicious for breakfast especially heated up in the microwave for a few seconds with little butter or margarine on top... mmm... Not to mention my toddler and husband love them!



Here is the recipe directly from my mama!

Six Week Muffins
2 cups Bran Flakes Cereal
2 cups All Bran Cereal
2 cups boiling water
1 cup dates chopped
3 cups flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
5 tsp baking soda
4 eggs beaten
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
1 quart buttermilk
1 cup chopped nuts (your choice)
2 cups Bob's Red Mill Wheat Bran

Directions:
In a large bowl, add 4 cups of the two bran cereals and the dates. Pour the boiling water over and set aside. Sift dry ingredients together. Blend the oil and sugar, then add the beaten eggs. Fold into the hot bran mixture, the dry ingredients and the buttermilk. Fold in the last 2 cups of the bran flakes and the nuts.

Grease and flour the muffin tins. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-18 minutes. The un-used batter may be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to six weeks.


NOTE: Sometimes I use raisins, but I do prefer the dates as they mix in better. You can also find prechopped dates at the store, which are really easy. Smiths Marketplace
used to have them in the healthfood area where you can measure them out yourself and they were a lot less expensive buying them that way.

These are the 3 types of bran you need in the recipe just to help you out. I found the Bob's Red Mill brand in the health food section. Also, I omit the nuts when I make them only because I worry about my daughter choking on them.

And sorry about the lack of posts as of lately. I've been trying new recipes but nothing share worthy. I keep finding duds for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment