Thursday, August 25, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo

Alfredo sauce is a personal weakness of mine. All of that heavy whipping cream, butter and cheese...yum! Not exactly the most healthy of foods. I swear it's just short of a million calories, not to mention loaded with saturated fats. For a while, I thought I was doomed and I would have to cut this out of my diet or accept my fate and clog my arteries. And then I stumbled on this little gem of a recipe from Cook This, Not That! Have you ever heard of Cook This, Not That? If not, you have now! It's all about cooking your favorite restaurant meals in to healthier meals at home. I cook out of it all of the time! And I seriously l-o-v-e this Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo Sauce. LOVE. I often find myself going for third second helpings! The best thing about it, is it's a great way to sneak in vegetables for those picky husbands kids!



Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo
recipe adapted slightly from Cook This, Not That!

Ingredients:
10oz pasta
2 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup half and half
3/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
2 cloves garlic, halved
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour to butter until well mixed {be careful not to burn}. Slowly add the milk and half & half. Whisk to prevent lumps from forming. Add chopped red peppers, garlic and cheese. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, stir often. Pour mixture in to blender and puree until smooth and uniform in color or you've reached desired consistency. {I made mine with little chunks of red pepper}. Return to pan, salt and pepper to taste and continue simmering until pasta is done. Pour over prepared pasta.

Serves 4.

Notes: You can find bottled roasted red peppers at the store but the stores don't always carry them. Or you can do what I did and roast your own with a tutorial like the one found here. It's pretty easy and only takes a little bit of extra prep time.


No comments:

Post a Comment